Job Posting: Administrative Associate
About Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters (Friends) was established in 2017 as a citizen conservation nonprofit working to preserve and protect the outstanding natural beauty, ecological vitality, and distinctive cultural resources of Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (the Monument) and surrounding communities for the inspiration and enjoyment of all generations. In partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), Friends provides a direct way for the public to participate in the continuing stewardship of Maine’s newest park by providing a measure of excellence that can augment and complement NPS management and funding.
The Administrative Associate works as part of a small, dynamic, and fast-growing team of board, staff, partners, and volunteers to ensure organizational excellence for Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters. The position provides administrative support to guarantee effective systems for organizational teams as outlined below.
This position works under the supervision of Friends’ Deputy Director. Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters is undertaking a deliberate, year-plus long transition to a teams-based model and as such the Administrative Associate will frequently report to designated Team Leads across the organization.
This position will be joining an organization that is in the midst of accelerated growth from the start-up phase to the growth phase. As such additional responsibilities and professional growth are potential opportunities within this position. Candidates who feel they would appreciate the core duties and see the potential for growth, perhaps beyond the core duties, are encouraged to apply.
- Strong commitment to public lands and the natural, recreational and cultural features of Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument.
- Passion for outstanding physical and digital organization.
- Familiarity or proficiency with accounting (Quickbooks), CRM, and/or file management software.
- Self-motivated with the desire to take on a variety of diverse projects.
- Team player who can work independently as well.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and organization.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work evenings and weekends when projects demand it.
Core Duties of Administrative Associate
- Develop knowledge and understanding of Maine’s Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument and surrounding communities.
- Ensure organizational excellence with focus on the following teams:
- Finance: In accordance with Friends’ Corporate and Fiscal Policies and internal financial protocols, prepare bank deposits, enter and track income and expenses in Quickbooks, enter payroll reports into Quickbooks, maintain vendor records, and generate checks for signature.
- Development: process incoming contributions, coordinate contribution acknowledgments, collaborate with development team to deliver targeted and mass mailings, process merchandise orders, support development staff in foundation and major donor research, cultivation, and stewardship efforts, meticulously maintain CRM records of members, donors, supporters, volunteers, foundations, and businesses.
- Operations: maintain digital and paper filing systems, answer the office phone, monitor mailbox, field incoming telephone calls, monitor and resupply office supplies, track merchandise inventory, and greet office guests.
- Facilities management: coordinate vendor services and manage guests at the Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters Patten House administrative building, coordinate vendor services at National Park Service Millinocket and Patten Visitor Contact stations.
- Communications: Track external media stories related to the Friends group and national monument, gather and disseminate press clips, and support Deputy Director in other administrative tasks related to communications.
- Board of Directors: Support the Executive Director in scheduling calls and meetings for the Board of Directors, drafting and editing meeting minutes, and drafting as-needed correspondences.
- The Administrative Associate provides administrative support to all staff at the organization and as such may be asked to fulfill other tasks as assigned by other team members.
Location and Travel
Friends maintains an administrative office in Portland and is exploring opening a second administrative office in the Katahdin region. This position will ideally be based in the Portland area or the Katahdin region, and travel to other locations within Maine is an occasional requirement of this job. Remote work is possible many days of the week, though, this position will require dedicated office time. The employee must maintain a reliable car and valid driver’s license.
Hours and Benefits
Health, dental, vision, sick time, Paid Time Off (“PTO”), and SIMPLE IRA retirement benefits are offered to all full-time Friends employees. This is a salaried full-time position with some work on nights and weekends required. The annual salary range from this position is $36,450 and $45,000, based upon experience. We aim to have the Administrative Associate start in June 2021.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to Sam Deeran, Deputy Director, email@example.com with the subject line “Administrative Associate” at your earliest convenience. Our hiring team is prioritizing a timely hire and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in employment against persons based on color, race, religion, age, ability, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran or marital status.