Job Posting: Development Associate
About Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters (Friends) was established in 2017 as a citizen conservation nonprofit working to preserve and protect the outstanding natural beauty, ecological vitality, and distinctive cultural resources of Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (the Monument) and surrounding communities for the inspiration and enjoyment of all generations. In partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), Friends provides a direct way for the public to participate in the continuing stewardship of Maine’s newest park by providing a measure of excellence that can augment and complement NPS management and funding.
The Development Associate works as part of a small, dynamic team of board, staff, and volunteers to ensure Friends members and supporters are engaged and active in our various programs to support the Friends mission. The position is responsible for interfacing with members, tracking and reporting on fundraising metrics, and supporting the Development Manager and Executive Director in fundraising activities and initiatives.
This position works under the supervision of Friends’ Development Manager.
- Strong commitment to public lands and the natural, recreational and cultural features of the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, strong writing skills, attention to detail, and organization.
- Self-motivated with the desire to take on a variety of diverse projects.
- Team player who can work independently as well.
- Familiarity with data and administrative management.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work evenings and weekends when projects demand it.
- Prior fundraising experience preferred.
Core Duties of Development Associate
- Develop knowledge and understanding of Maine’s Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument and surrounding communities.
- Interface with members and supporters through personalized phone, electronic, and in-person communication. Build and cultivate relationships with a portfolio of mid-level donors.
- Manage incoming development-related queries and direct to Development Manager as needed (email, phone, in-person).
- Meticulously maintain CRM records of members, volunteers, donors, supporters, foundations, and businesses, as well as their involvement with Friends. Track and report on membership and fundraising metrics.
- Collaborate with the Development Manager to coordinate membership recruitment and renewal efforts through targeted mailings, events, and networking.
- Assist Development Manager in planning and execution of fundraising aspects of annual events, including silent and live auction solicitations and management, recruitment and recognition of business sponsors and host committee, and other fundraising duties.
- Research existing and potential members and financial supporters; including information about their interests, background, capabilities, and alignment with various work of Friends.
- Support the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and other staff in research, cultivation, tracking and reporting of foundation grants.
- Aid in crafting and dissemination of electronic and web communications to members and the general public.
- Support the Development Manager and other staff on administrative functions as needed and assigned.
- Fulfill other tasks as assigned by the Development Manager or Executive Director.
Location and Travel
Friends maintains program offices in the Katahdin region and administrative office in Portland. This position will ideally be based in the Katahdin region or Portland, and travel to other locations within Maine is an occasional requirement of this job. The employee must maintain a reliable car and valid driver’s license.
Hours, Benefits, and Pay
Health, dental, vision, retirement and earned-time benefits are offered to all Friends employees. This is a salaried full-time position with some work on nights and weekends required. The annual salary range from this position is $35,000 and $45,000, based upon experience. We aim to have our Development Associate start by April 2021.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Development Associate” by March 14 for priority consideration.
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in employment against persons based on color, race, religion, age, ability, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran or marital status.