About Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters (Friends) was established in 2017 as a citizen conservation nonprofit working to preserve and protect the outstanding natural beauty, ecological vitality, and distinctive cultural resources of Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument (the Monument) and surrounding communities for the inspiration and enjoyment of all generations. In partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), Friends provides a direct way for the public to participate in the continuing stewardship of Maine’s newest park by providing a measure of excellence that can augment and complement NPS management and funding.
The Administrative Assistant works as part of a small, dynamic team of board, staff and volunteers to ensure organizational excellence for Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters. The position provides administrative support to guarantee effective finance, development, and office/facilities management systems. This position works under the supervision of Friends’ Executive Director.
- Strong commitment to public lands and the natural, recreational and cultural features of Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument.
- Passion for outstanding physical and digital organization.
- Familiarity or proficiency with accounting (Quickbooks), CRM, and/or file management software.
- Self-motivated with the desire to take on a variety of diverse projects.
- Team player who can work independently as well.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and organization.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work evenings and weekends when projects demand it.
Core Duties of Administrative Assistant
- Develop knowledge and understanding of Maine’s Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument and surrounding communities.
- Meticulously maintain CRM records of members, donors, supporters, volunteers, foundations, and businesses.
- Ensure organizational excellence with focus on the following departments:
- Development: process incoming contributions, coordinate contribution acknowledgments, lead logistics for targeted and mass mailings, process merchandise orders, support development staff in foundation and major donor research, cultivation, and stewardship efforts.
- Finance: Generate invoices, prepare bank deposits, enter and track income and expenses into Quickbooks, and pre-reconcile monthly bank statements.
- Office management: maintain digital and paper filing systems, answer the office phone, monitor mailbox, field incoming telephone calls, monitor and resupply office supplies, and greet office guests.
- Facilities management: coordinate vendor services and manage guests at the Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters Patten House administrative building, coordinate vendor services at National Park Service Millinocket and Patten Visitor Contact stations.
- Support the Executive Director in scheduling calls and meetings for the Board of Directors, drafting and editing meeting minutes, and drafting as-needed correspondences.
- Support the Deputy Director in tracking external and internal communications of the organization.
- Fulfill other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
Location and Travel
Friends maintains program offices in the Katahdin Region and administrative office in Portland. This position will be based at the administrative offices in Portland, however travel to other locations within Maine, including the Katahdin Region, is an occasional requirement of this job. The employee must maintain a reliable car and valid driver’s license.
Hours and Benefits
Health, dental, vision, and earned-time benefits are offered to all Friends employees. This is a salaried full-time position with some work on nights and weekends required. We aim to have our Administrative Assistant start by December 2019.
For priority consideration, please send an application by October 31, 2019 that includes cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Administrative Assistant” as the subject. We will accept applications until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Friends of Katahdin Woods and Waters is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in employment against persons based on color, race, religion, age, ability, gender, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran or marital status.